Last weekend, we decided, the morning of, to check out a trick or treat corn maze. Sounded fun, J and the kids had costumes already but I didn't have anything. So that morning I fanatically searched Pinterest for last minute DIY costumes. I wasn't really satisfied with anything I saw, most were not easy DIY or last minute or cheap.
This led me to browse my closet and our dress up box for ideas. I realized we had all the pieces to throw together a halfway decent pirate, at least I hoped people would be able to tell what I was.
Items Needed for DIY Pirate Costume:
- Bandanna or Scarf. My mother in law owns a bandanna in every color, so this was an easy one for me). I wore it tied around my head.
- Eye Patch. This is completely optional but we had a few in our dress up box and I think if you add one to the costume it is pretty hard to miss that you are a pirate. I didn't actually wear the eye patch over my eye but wore it above my eye on the bandanna. I don't know if anybody can actually function with an eye patch for a costume but I couldn't.
- White or Striped Shirt. I used one of J's white long sleeve shirts. There could have been better options but it was what I had on hand, I used it and it looked good.
- Leggings. I would go with brown or black. I wore black because that is what I had, but I think brown would look better.
- Tall Boots. I have a pair of grey boots that I wore to complete the look of my costume. I never thought they looked liked pirate boots before but I think there were a nice accent to the costume.
- Accessories. To complete the look I tied a colorful scarf I had around my waist. A brown leather belt would work well also. I then raided the dress up box for jewels. I ended up using gold, black, and silver Mardi Gras beads to be my jewels. It was the best we had. I wrapped a few around my wrists for bracelets also. If I had them I would've added some hoop earnings also. I also donned a wooden sword that J had made for the kids.
Need another quick DIY costume? Be a ninja. This is what Bug chose to wear to the corn maze, although I don't think too many people realized what she is.
What you need:
- Black Clothing. Put on some black pants and long sleeve shirt. In Bug's case we used long johns that we had from last winter.
- Black Hood. For the hood you use another long sleeve black shirt. Put the shirt over your head so it covers your ears, nose, and mouth. Then pull the back up over the back of your head, wrap the sleeves around the back of your head and tie. Super easy and looks great.
- Accessories. If you have them some kind of weapon would look great with this costume also.
To be honest, I don't think Bug will be wearing this costume tomorrow night. She thought that everyone would love her costume and nobody really commented on it. I think she was a bit disappointed. She says she is going to dress as a ballerina tomorrow night.
What are your go to last minute costumes?